Sunday 6 July 2014

Space Orks: The Goffs, Part One

As far as Warhammer 40,000 goes, the classic or "retro" Space Orks are probably my favourite range of miniatures.
It wasn't always that way, when I got into the game and miniatures as a kid in the early 90's it was Space Marines all the way, specifically the Space Wolf chapter.
But 15 years of rereading the "Fangs Of The Wolf" in the Space Wolf codex (first in WD 158) and all those plastic Goffs and Gretchin from the boxed set rattling around I decided that it might be nice for the marines to have another army to face off against.
"Hey, I had a good start with all these plastics- maybe just some characters, I'll just stick to the Goff clan" but once I started looking into the range on The Stuff Of Legends (and that notorious online auction site) I found myself basically obsessed with them, and ironically I've ended up with way more Orks than Space Wolves, who for the most part are still languishing in unpainted drawer hell.
Traitor!
Ghazgkhull Mag Uruk Thraka, Overboss of the Goffs and his Gretchin sidekick Makari.
These two were the first purchase, and the first to get painted, about 5 years ago now.
I hadn't really painted at all since 1997 or something like that, and getting these guys done really got me into it again- nothing like jumping in the deep end! ( there's been touch ups along the way)
Ghazgkhull's banner pole is a recent addition and was lifted off the WHFB Orc Morglum Necksnapper.
Painboy with stainless steel skull, or "Mad Doc Grotsnik" as he was depicted in Fangs Of The Wolf.
Another early paintjob, he's still a bit rough but it's fitting.
The Nobz that lead my two big mobs of Goffs.
Skarboyz from the first mob. The power swords used by the Skarboyz are cannibalised from the Space Crusade Marine Commander's weapons.
Metal boys ( used as Skarboyz) from the first mob, which is completed by 10 plastic Goffs to make it 20 strong.
The original Ghazgkhull. Note the Space Wolf MK VI helmet proudly displayed at his waist.
Another Boss, propping himself up on a vanquished Space Wolf helmet.
This Boss is really mean, despite his red painted fingernails (disclaimer:  I copied it off the depiction of him from the Dark Millennium book :) )
The Skarboyz from the second mob.
Metal boys from the second mob.
Like the first, there are 10 plastic Goffs to bolster their number to 20.








1 comment:

  1. The greens you used for the skin are lovely, liking all these goffs :)

    ReplyDelete