Thursday 26 June 2014

We Can Be Heroes: Wizards and Mages

Wizards, Mages, Warlocks, Spellcasters, Magic Users...call them what you like, if I'm honest the character class has never really been my cup of tea.
Now before anybody places a hex on me or turns me into a frog, I like them just fine, no D&D or questing party / fantasy army is complete without at least one.
I'm certainly not anti beard or flowing robe, and I love books and reading...but when I read through the character classes in D&D as a wee lad and most certainly when I saw the 4 heroes from Heroquest, the magic user or wizard was the last "dude" I wanted to be.
If I can only use 4 spells per day or quest, I'll be extremely hesitant to use any at all, I barely even used magic when playing Golden Axe.
I had no problems putting the boot into those little thieving Gnomes or whatever they were that came and stole your s*%t when you were trying to sleep though.

But I digress...
 This guy is probably responsible for my mild aversion to Wizards.
I think he is trying to compensate for something...a "stuffer" so to speak.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't like disco music though.
 Much, much better- Mr Advanced Heroquest Wizard.
The mad scientist known as Cheetor pointed out that this guy bears a striking resemblance to Kris Kristofferson, and I'll be damned if he wasn't on to something there.
 3rd Edition Talisman Astronomer
 Light Wizard or 3rd Edition Talisman High Priest.
Formerly owned by the most excellent Oldhammer community member Asslessman.
 Talisman Philosopher, probably wondering why he has to share a post with all these wizards.
Suck it up buddy, you're carrying a scroll around so you've been lumped in with the magic users.
Formerly owned by the most excellent lybban from over at Warseer.
Talisman Pilgrim, another trade acquisition from the esteemed lybban.
This miniature is also the current representation of Rambulge Dungaree Pastorious, my character in the D&D game we have going on at the oldhammer forum.
"But you said magic users aren't your cup of tea, Bruno you lying sod!?"
Well, he's a fighter/magic user, so it's OK.

2 comments:

  1. I like how the first one looks like he's waving at his companions saying "hey guys, please ! Wait for me !" while all the others try to avoid him...
    Those Talisman models are absolutely gorgeous, the sculpt is good and your painting really gives them life. I like the light wizard and his original paintscheme. Definitely better now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't deny that I have a nostalgic fondness for the Heroquest Wizard, but he definitely comes across as a bit of a novice or perhaps a bit of a C-3PO style fellow.
      The 1985 Talisman metals are really nice miniatures, and I've gotta say they come out looking great with only the smallest of efforts- I spent a hell of a lot more time on the plastics than the metals.
      All of the 85 minis I've painted so far have been an absolute joy and are right up there amongst my favourites.

      Delete